Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sharing windows of inspiration


G&P makes these cute little DIY Ornaments that are easy to work with and very simple. They were originally intended for crafters to use in making Christmas ornaments but I immediately thought other purposes. I like to call them my little windows of inspiration.

I recently made several little windows of inspiration to hang from an old lampshade. I'm going to give you a couple ideas for filling them with clip art and other ornamentation.


Linda Neff
linda-neff.com



Supplies:
  • G&P DIY Ornament
  • G&P Glastique Gloss
  • G&P 3D Enamel Gels
  • Small clip art pieces
  • paper flowers
  • ribbons




For this DIY Ornament I started by dry embossing the rings in an embossing folder run through my Vagabond. Then I quickly painted the ornament rings with gesso to provide a white base to work with. Once the gesso dried I spread Piccolo 3D Enamel Gel Pink Rose on the top side of the rings with my finger.

The 3D enamels dry pretty quickly so when the Pink Rose Enamel is dry then I used the same fingering technique to apply the Piccolo Burnt Umber gel rather randomly as to give it an aged, antique look.


I ran a strip of thin wire through the center of the ornament pieces prior to assembly. I used two pieces of clip art that were the same size so the edges matched up. These are glued back-to-back over the wire. I added a tad bit of dried moss to the bottom of the globe, added a printed quote, then assembled the pieces. The pieces are adhered together with Glastique and clamped with clothespins till set. Add a ribbon at the top to hang.


For this DIY Ornament, I stippled G&P Titanium White 3D Enamel Gel to the inside of the back globe and let it dry. While it's drying the rings are embossed using an embossing folder then coated with Glastique Gloss Finishing Glaze. I raided my vintage button container and used Glastique to adhere a layer of vintage white buttons. These provide the base for paper flowers and leaves. When they're all glued in place I add a printed quote.


When the Glastique is dry and the flowers and leaves are set, the pieces are assembled using Glastique to adhere the rings and globes then clipped with clothespins till set.


Swing by my blog to see a banner made from the DIY Ornament and an altered window where Piccolo Embossing Powders, Glastique and 3D Enamel Gels were used to create a vintage look.

4 comments:

Candy Spiegel said...

This is beautiful! I only want to see more photos ...

Art Resurrected said...

I got to see this lovely piece at the Globecraft & Piccolo booth at the Winter CHA. Photos do not do it justice, amazing work as always Linda.

byondbzr said...

GORGEOUS!

KC Eddy said...

Beautiful!!